enfrde

Heart of Hadrian's Wall

...a day is never long enough

There is a genuine spiritual heritage at the heart of Hadrian's Wall area. Standing near the Mare and Foal stones – the last two remaining of a megalithic stone circle – you can feel the resonance of our distant ancestors. Just a little further east along the B6318 you can visit Brocolitia and see the remains of a Mithraic temple built by the Romans. To the west, and just over the border into Cumbria, the Roman fort of Birdoswald (Banna) is believed to be the birthplace of St Patrick and where his father served as a Roman official.

Continuing the Christian heritage into the 7th century King Oswald (later St Oswald) travelled throughout Northumberland and is commemorated by the 97 mile walking trail that starts at Lindisfarne (Holy Island) and ends at Heavenfield (near Chollerford) close to the battlefield where he stood victorious over King Penda of Mercia and Caedwalla of Wales.

There are a number of religious buildings that are well worth visiting during your stay – including Hexham Abbey and Lanercost Priory.

Less well known is the Church of the Holy Cross in Haltwhistle. In this twelfth century building you will find echoes of much earlier times including an old water stoup reputed to have been used for baptisms in the 7th century by Paulinus (first Bishop of York) who baptised King Edwin of Northumbria at Walltown. There is a stone commemorating John Ridley, Lord of Walltown, who died in 1562. John was the brother in law of the protestant martyr Nicholas Ridley, burnt at the stake with Archbishop Cranmer and Bishop Latimer by order of Mary Tudor in 1555. The church also has some excellent stained glass by Burne Jones, who was greatly influenced by William Morris, and was one of the Pre-Raphaelites. Burne Jones was a frequent visitor to Naworth Castle and his work can be seen at St Martin's Church, Brampton and at Lanercost Priory.There are many fine churches in and around the Heart of Hadrian's Wall. Many of these are very old and have great spiritual and historical significance. For further information about churches of the beautiful North Tyne and Rede Valleys visit The Bellingham Deanery website.

To check service times for Church of England Services www.achurchnearyou.com

12 results - showing 1 - 12  
 
 
St Cuthbert's Church, Greenhead
Heritage

Location

St Cuthbert’s Church was built as a Chapel of Ease in 1827 to 1828 during the incumbency of the Rev N J Hollingsworth. It is thanks to his passion and enthusiasm that the chapel was built. A chapel of ease is a church building other than the main church...
Holy Cross Church, Haltwhistle
Heritage

Location

The Church of the Holy Cross is a very fine and original example of early 13th century architecture. Its importance lies in it being of one style, built in one period, and the restoration carried out by R J Johnson in 1870 shows sympathetic judgment. The plan of the...
St Martin's Church, Brampton
Heritage

Location

St Martin's Church was built in 1878 to replace an earlier one on the same site, which had been erected in 1789. Prior to that the Parish Church had been on the site of a Roman fort a mile and a half away to the north west, beside the...
St Mungo’s Church, Simonburn
Heritage

Location

This is a beautiful church with a long history of worship by local families. There are numerous Kempe stained windows as well as the important memorials. The church has many Northumbrian characteristics with a western bellcote rather than a tower, a chancel almost as long as the four bay...
St Cuthbert’s Church, Bellingham
Heritage

Location

The church in the middle of the town dates back to 1180 and is a grade 1 listed building. Once belonging to the great parish of Simonburn, it became a separate entity in 1650. It was laid to waste during the border wars with Scotland and then neglected. In...
St Giles Church, Birtley
Heritage

Location

There was probably a wooden Saxon Church dating from the 7th century. The original stone one was erected on the present site by the Umfravilles, Lords of Prudhoe and “keepers of Redesdale”; It was consecrated in 1900. The north chancel wall and the chancel arch date from the medieval...
St Aiden’s Church, Throckrington
Heritage
St Aiden’s Church in Throckrington. The building dates back from the 11th century. It is situated on an outcrop of the whinsill and silhouetted against the skyline. Pevsner describes the church as “high up and solitary except for one farm. The church has “lost” its village possibly through a...
St Oswald’s Church, Heavenfield
Heritage

Location

St Oswald’s church – Heavenfield is on the site of what is believed to be the location where King Oswald raised a large wooden cross and called his troops to pray before the battle of Heavenfield (AD 633) The significance of the battle of Heavenfield lies in the re-establishment...
St George's Church, Wall
Heritage

Location

St George's is a Victorian stone church situated on the village green in the picturesque village of Wall. It was built in 1896 saving the villagers the mile and a half walk to worship at Heavenfield. It was built on the site of a former heather thatched cottage.  Unusually...
St Giles Church, Chollerton
Heritage

Location

The building is Grade 1 listed and dates from c.1100. It has splendid Roman Columns on the south side and pillars on the north side. Woodwork also dates from the Jacobean period and a number of Roman Artefacts are built into the walls. A Roman Altar is housed in...
Hexham Abbey
Heritage

Location

There has been a church on this site over for 1300 years since Queen Etheldreda made a grant of lands to Wilfrid, Bishop of York c.674.
Lanercost Priory
Heritage

Location

Lanercost Priory, founded in 1166 and disbanded during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII. Edward I stayed at Lanercost in 1307 during one of his journeys to fight the Scots but he was too ill to continue and died shortly afterwards at Burgh by...
12 results - showing 1 - 12