A hugely important structure in Newcastle's history, Newcastle Castle has had a chequered history, but the site itself has been in use since Roman times.
Something that's not usually known is that the site of Newcastle Castle has been in use for around 1800 years, and during the Roman period was used as a guard over the River Tyne as part of Hadrian's Wall. When the Romans left, the castle fell into disuse, but by the 800s it had been appropriated by the Anglo-Saxons as part of a church. In 1080 the son of William the Conqueror, Robert Curthose, built the first timber Castle on the site, and it became a major stronghold during the middle ages and the conflicts that raged between England and Scotland.
Over the years the castle has had its highs and lows, but in 2011 it was granted lottery finding for renovations, and in 2015 it was reopened to the public.