The Northumberland coastline runs down from Berwick upon Tweed in the north, down to Cresswell in the south of the county.
Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
The scenery itself is breathtaking and unsurprisingly, the area is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and provides a home to waders, geese, ducks and over at the Farne Islands, grey seals.
The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is stunningly beautiful and is one of the centres of Christian heritage in England. St Aidan was brought to Lindesfarne from Iona in AD687 by King Oswald of Northumbria in order to establish a monastery there, and to further the word of Christianity in Northumbrian. The monastery St. Aidan founded grew and helped found churches and other religious institutions throughout the area, as well as serving as centre of learning and a storehouse of scholarly knowledge, therefore training many of Aidan's young charges for a career in the priesthood.
Two infamous local products to tempt your tastebuds are Lindesfarne Mead and Craster Kippers. The monks at Lindesfarne Priory continue the tradition on brewing mead for sale to both locals and visitors. Made from honey, this is then fermented with grape juice and is world-renowned and delicious.
Craster Kippers have been produced made by L. Robson & Sons for nearly 100 years and still use the original smokehouse built in 1856, and stick to the traditional methods of smoking too.
The beaches are marvellous, particularly at Embleton, Alnmouth and Druridge Bay and are interspersed with grand castles at Bamburgh, Warkworth and Dunstanburgh, all of which can be visited and explored.
Heroes of the North
There is a maritime heritage centre in Newbiggin by the Sea from where you can view the famous ‘Couple’ sculpture in the sea; and one of England’s true heroines, Grace Darling, is celebrated by a museum in her home town of Bamburgh. Grace was just 22 years old when she risked her life rowing over a mile with her father in an open boat across a stormy sea to help the survivors of the wrecked SS Forfarshire on 7 September 1838.