The pre-Norman history of the site at Warkworth is still not entirely clear, but it's fairly likely that there was a settlement there back to at least the 8th century, probably utilised by the Anglo-Saxon Earls of Northumbria.
The first written record of Warkworth Castle occurs in a charter between 1157 and 1164, and it appears that the castle was either built in the 1150s, or that the title of 'castle' was given to a current structure.
Robert fitz Roger was almost certainly responsible for the present castle at Warkworth between 1199 and 1214, and you can see evidence of this period in the gatehouse, the Carrickfergus Tower, the postern gate and the east curtain wall.
As with other castles in the area, Warkworth castle was important in the 13th century feuds between England and Scotland, and as with other castles, it was given extra fortifications during that period too.
In 1332 the castle passed to Henry Percy, 2nd Lord Percy, who had been granted it by Edward III, and the Percy family were at the time seen as one of the most pre-eminent families in England. During the Wars of the Roses, the castle was taken back from the Percys by the crown, but then restored to them following the end of the conflict. Further work on the castle as undertaken and completed in the 16th century and the Percy's remained in control of the castle by-and-large until the early 20th century when in 1915 the castle was declared a scheduled ancient monument, and in 1922 was taken into state guardianship, and the Duke's Rooms were gifted by the Percy Family in 1987.